View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 05:09 PM

Wink It's the Kid in Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Bill-in the Hills -
Congratulations on the OPPO 203. Now that you have playback of physical media covered, why are you considering ripping?

It is a fair bit of effort, though it becomes routine after the first few.

Ripping and streaming are related but different. Further, for good ripping access to the Internet is mostly required (the best ripping software will have access to large on-line databases, saving you from having to enter disk/track information manually, for example).

A hot-spot can download this data of course (it is not that much), but if you are playing your disks, why bother?

Streaming is a bit different - you are accessing someone's else's ripped library - Spotify's library for example.
clpetersen..... The thread I mentioned in the original post (OP) took a turn on me. It started out as an old vet (me) asking for basic information about playing our physical medium formats, so, long story short, we eventually purchased the Oppo -203 ... but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

As some time went on, the thread started to "evolve" into a more modern discussion. I began getting posts about employing our Sony X800M2 -- a so-called "universal" player without analog outputs -- and a DAC (like the Bryston DAC-3). Later still, I got a post about the newer Bryston DAC-Pi Streamer; a.k.a., the DAC-3.14. The DAC discussion drew in some posts about ripping audio to a computer...so you see where I'm going with this.

Anyway, seeing the name Bryston several times...and, more to the point, getting the clear message that they make pretty good equipment...well...it sort of prompted me to read up on the brand...but practically everyone who's ever wished for that "great sound" in their own home knows what I'm writing about -- namely, I caught another "bug." I'm now interested in knowing more about this [new to me] brand name and, eventually, I hope to start out by hearing one of their DACs in action.

As I previously mentioned, our early-2011 MacBook Pro 17 is getting a little long in the tooth. It still works great, but the bottlenecks presented by its outdated data transfer technology (USB 2.0 and Thunderbolt 1) make it a bit unrealistic for storing our [modest] audio collection. So, in closing, I'd say that the possibility of streaming music -- we don't have -- will have to wait a bit, but adding a good DAC to our existing A/V system is really growing on me.

Thanks for the great post ~ Bill

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections