View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Jimmy... I never use OEM jumpers, currently I'm using platinum eclipse jumpers. But I am planning to get rid of all the jumpers if I decide to Tri-amp.
Aida no doubt would perform her best, banging three amps at once.

I'm an advocate for bi-wiring & passive bi-amping. (tri-amping in this scenario). I believe that doing so eliminates potential intermodulation distortion between the low- and high-frequency portions of the audio signal as a result of the better current draw. This equates to a more coherently dimensional soundstage. Great speakers are instruments that totally disappear into the soundstage. They become invisible to the ear...

What the amp receives is of no relevance whatsoever, assuming it's already getting good source. It's what the speakers draw that is important. And you want them to draw the best quality smoke...

It will depend on the speaker. If you have speakers with well designed crossovers & your speaker manufacturer recommends it, then go for it. There could only be advantages. Aida would have certainly been engineered this way.

I hear the difference, some argue they don't & it's a waste of money for extra cable runs and/or amps. Some say bi-wiring introduces timing coherency issues. I think its OK if you use the same wire. Identical amps ensures correct DB gain & correct presentation.

Others say there are only benefits if using an active crossover & disabling the speakers' own internal crossovers. Sure the benefits may be greater...For me, this approach is too risky & generally deviates from the speaker manufacturer's intent. Better left in realms of commercial applications for use with speaker arrays where venue compensation is necessary. How many venues still sound lousy...Why...because many a sound engineer don't know the venue's nuances & therefore have no idea how to shape the crossovers!

For consumer applications, better to buy a superior speaker & fix your room with acoustic treatment than to screw around with active crossovers. Tell me, what could possibly be more innovative than Aida?

My fronts are bi-wired as recommended by the manufacturer. All of my surrounds are bi-wired & passively bi-amped to monoblocks (even better says the speaker manufacturer). Better headroom, faster, tighter, better control, less woolly bass. My ears believe it, my mind's eye is transported there, at one with the artist.

- I reckon.

For this level of system, money is no option, spend it more to reap the rewards! Burmester will shine...Wireworld Platinums will sizzle... Aida will love you back with doting drivers. win-win-win. 911-911-911. Go-Gadget-Go!

Best of breed...Best in the world...Now that's jacking up the passion! (You already know, you've done wonderful things with McIntosh & with great success...if I'm right, I'll personally bring you the cigar...)

Steve

Last edited by MyPal; 03-22-2012 at 08:35 AM.