View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 02:22 PM

First, even if money is a non-issue, I'd still go with what would work best/optimally in my room/system and not because it is top in the current food chain (prestige etc.) - as the next best thing will always be lurking just around the corner. I recall now seeing a picture of your room somewhere, noting it quite a tight fit even for Maxx3 (ceiling wise?).

Secondly, it is not how much I can afford to spend now, but how much I can stand to lose upon reselling. IMO, a wise purchase is something like that of the Paragon deal of Alex2.2 wherein the downside is very low. Easily tossed with minimal loss, say buy 60-65k, sell 50k (down 10-15k) - enjoy them for a couple of years and just write it off as a very cheap sota speaker rent. This, you cannot do with the latest greatest XLF at 200k.. My rough estimation is that in a couple of years, at least a 50-60k loss needs to be written off in your book.

Myself, I would never consider buying any speakers north of 150k without the vendor first giving me a nice little head-start on the deal, i.e.minimal 50% off its msrp. So, unless you are getting some super hot deal on the XLF, I'd hold out for new Maxx. My guess is that its performance will be nudging close, hence probably not worth splurging the extra two and the half times extra (approx.) for XLF - especially putting room into consideration, plus, that you will (I believe) run them still with a pair of subs?

Oh, but then you mentioned DREAMM.. Now, that's one totally different matter.. You can chuck aside all rationalizing above and just go for it, hell yeah, We only live once! Just my .2cents..

Last edited by bvdiman; 12-05-2013 at 03:08 PM.