View Single Post
Old 01-24-2019, 08:51 AM

Default Desperatly Need Help AES/Cary Amp Bias Process

I am a new poster in need of help and I am hoping that some folks here that are familiar with Cary products can help.

I recently purchased Audio Electronics Superamp Mk II and I could not be more excited about getting it up and running. However, I am novice when it comes to tube gear, unfamiliar with the bias process and want to make sure I set the amp up properly without damaging the amp, associated equipment and possibly myself in the process (if that’s even possible)!

So I will cut to the chase and hopefully my questions make sense are not viewed as being too amateurish.

1. When using a multi-meter (DC Current setting) with options for 200 ma and 10A, which setting do I use if the bias is to be set at 200ma? What happens if you exceed 200 ma while in the 200 ma setting while adjusting the bias?

2. Should I connect or disconnect the speakers when setting the bias?

3. Should I disconnected the pre-amp when setting the bias?

4. For bias accuracy, do I need to use the electrical outlet where the amp will be setup or can I use an outlet/circuit in another area of the house, set the bias and move the amp to its permanent location?

5. According to the manual, you insert the supplied bias phono/cable plug, attach the meter and power up the amp, bring the bias up slowly using the setscrew on the rear of the amp and set the bias to 200 ma when the amp has warmed, approx. 5 minutes. When ending the process in what order do you do the following; disconnect the meter, unplug the bias phono plug and turn off the amp?

6. If you are rolling input tubes, do you need to adjust the bias the amp again?

7. How often should you check the bias? When checking (vs setting) the bias what do you need to disconnect (speakers or pre-amp)?
Any other tips for a new guy? Anything you that you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Last edited by Loudinny; 02-26-2019 at 09:25 PM.