View Single Post
Old 04-06-2017, 03:05 AM

Monbrison in the main system.
With CCQs.
Shindo IC's and speaker cables to home made Altec speakers inspired by the Petite Latour.
807 compression driver with W32 horn. And 414A 16 ohms replaced by the more efficient 414Z, still 16 ohms but going from 95/96 dB to 100 dB.
No use with the CCQs but I also use some days in that system 300B SET monoblocks and a MC225.

The Monbrison performs extremely well with the CCQs. The Giscours will not be "needed" in most set ups.
As Art Dudley and Jonathan Halpern say, there is no real hierarchy in the preamplifiers line. More lateral change.
In absolute terms the Giscours is better. But for musical emotions, you could prefer the Monbrison with the CCQs in my room.
The Monbrison is really a blessing compared to its price tag, especially on the used market. But also if you have to buy it new.
I have been a long time McIntosh fan.
But the best McIntosh preamp of all times ( C1000 but I did not hear the new C1100 ) cannot reach half of what a Monbrison does.
No remote. No balance adjustment. No HT pass through. Not balanced. But SO MUCH MORE MUSIC AND EMOTIONS.
A really different world compared to the classical even high end industrial products.

There are probably not many preamplifiers on the market able to compete with a Shindo preamplifier. Or spending fortunes on a Kondo maybe....
The only thing close to it is not in audio : a traditional Thai massage made by a Master ! Lol !

I will describe more the differences between the Giscours and the Monbrison in a few days.

IMG_3729.JPG

Last edited by jdandy; 04-07-2017 at 09:22 AM. Reason: enlarge photo