View Single Post
Old 06-24-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio View Post
Hey Lew

I was in Jerry Wonda's studio (Platinum Sound) on 46th and 9th. Jerry mentioned that those particular monitors were commissioned for Michael Jackson and he acquired them from Epic just before they were to be shipped to Japan. Those suckers were LOUD!

PS - I used Otari reel to reel machines before digital took over the studio world. I guess we're saving a ton of money on grease pencils and edit tape..
Platinum looks sweet. I bet they are loud! A lot of people think the 2397 called "The Smith horn" by JBL guys (and I suppose it's variants) was the best sounding radial horn of the era. Despite its relative small size it takes a 4" (2" exit) compression driver and it puts out big time. Of course, it's now a 40 plus year old design although people are still making horns in similar pattern. The horns on those monitors are custom, not 2397s but I bet the geometry is very similar. The original JBLs were also made of wood by the way.

Indeed! Editing took a big leap forward with that change to digital. Depending on when you were working on Otaris, I probably made a buck or two off each machine your studio/station bought. I got an override on all MX5050 (2 &4) track sales in the US as part of my compensation package which is one reason why I remain fond of them to this day.