View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 08:27 AM

I changed from the C-3800 to the C-3850 about a year ago. IMHO the C-3850 has better resolution, transparency and sounds more lively than the C-3800, at least in my all Accuphase / AQ system.

I currently use B&W 800 D2 but recently had the opportunity to listen to B&W 800 D3 with a same Accuphase / AQ system as mine.

The listening clearly revealed the almost unbelievable neutrality of the Accuphase / AQ chain. In comparison the B&W 800 D2 shows a slight lack of transparency, has a softer and less precise low end and shows some colouration, especially with voices, compared to the B&W 800 D3. The D3's imaging also seemed to be more open than the D2's. Personally with neither of these two speakers did I get the impression of dryness; the music was alive (and that's what I'm looking for).

This experience leads me to the conclusion, that the C-3850 is most likely the most neutral preamp on the market.

But bloom or no bloom (i.e. neutrality) eventually have to be judged subjectively. I can understand that some may prefer some bloom over (almost) no bloom. The overall behaviour of a system is dependent on every single component. I cannot say anything about Magico with such an all Accuphase / AQ system, because I have never listened to these speakers.

Martin