View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 06:39 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Great review, Jim.

And, fully consistent with my experiences of both the Venom NR-V12 connected either to my DAC or phono stage, and the V-10 for the power amplifier.

Some points of note, your comment:

"I hear not only greater scale, heft, and dynamic punch imparted to reproduced music than before, but also increased clarity and transparency across the frequency spectrum (triangles, chimes, and their stratospheric relatives are guilty-aural-pleasure delights) and better lateral and front-to-back layering of vocal and/or instrumental choirs. The overall impression with mixed-to-replicate-the-performing-venue recordings—whether of large instrumental ensembles, massed choral, or guitar solos--is what I call “visceral immediacy”, or the sense of sharing the listening space with and breathing the same air as the performers."

This paragraph, in particular, I find to describe the benefits of both the NR-V12 and V-10, very, very accurately. Particularly when playing complex orchestral music as you and I both do, frequently. When I first installed the NR-V12 to my DAC, it was powered by my Triton, and the improvements were so significant, virtually across the board for any "sonic attribute" you care to discuss that, you may remember my post about being "gobsmacked". Well, that's just what it was.

I had a similar experience when I connected the V-10 the the power amp and played the "Asturias" track from Isaac Albeniz' Suite Espagnola on the Speakers Corner Decca LP re-master. The ability to scale, as you so eloquently state, from ppp to fff during the big and complex orchestral crescendos sooo fast, so effortlessly, so dynamically left me shaking my head. While I knew my Dyns were fast before this experience, I have NEVER heard my big Dyns do that before. I was literally laughing out loud, saying "Who needs Wilsons or Magicos?"

These new Shunyata NR power cords are absolutely amazing, and completely re-set the bar for power cord performance across all meaningful performance and sonic attributes one could care to discuss.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-02-2019 at 06:42 PM.