View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 11:07 AM

Default 2.5B Cubed In House

Just read the recent posts about the 28B3 and 14B3.
Reporting from the other end of the power spectrum - the 2.5B3, care of Legend Audio/Ivan.

Summary: Extremely happy with this amplifier.

Details: This amp is driving a pair of Aerial Acoustic 6T's in a listening room that is 4 meters wide by 7 meters deep, open back wall, seating is about 3 meters from the speakers). 200 watts/channel into 4 ohms is sufficient (for the moment at least...). The small form factor was also important in this set-up. This is a step up from a good utilitarian amplifier (namely a standard ATI 2 channel).

I used a test CD, "Engineers Choice" from John Eargle the chief engineer at Delos records. These are his favorite recording tracks and he details how each was made, and most conveniently also provides orchestra/artist seating charts.

Differences:
Previously, the sound stage tended to move slightly (usually a right-to-left shift) as the ATI warmed up and the channel gains changed slightly.
The Bryston is completely stable and furthermore provides a more defined image.

Also, the Bryston performs wonderfully at all volume levels - nothing is lost at whisper quiet settings.

As expected, the amp is completely silent without anything on the input.

I drove this as loud as I wanted (103-105 dB peaks on the iPhone meter) and no signs of stress.

Driving using balanced out from the pre-amp, 23 dB gain setting.

Kudos, Bryston and Legend.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 05-17-2017 at 11:44 AM.