View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe schmoe View Post
As I venture further down this rabbit hole, known as high end audio...I am taking the plunge into upgrading my cables.

I'm starting with my power cables, after those are all replaced I will be moving on to the interconnects, then to seal the deal speaker cables.... Figured I would start with power cables, seeing I just purchased a used PS Audio PPP, with that being said,

What do you look for when buying cables?
All the technical specs are rather meaningless considering a cable should compliment the system synergy and/or achieve desired effect if it is a realistic expectation and within the scope of what cables can and can not do. Cables are not miraculous system changers but can have enough influence to shift the balance of a system if everything else is in order. If there was a formula to go by, such as all the parameters you listed and their influence on how a cable will sound in your system, it would be an easy choice. Unfortunately, cables are often a trial and error type of approach with some of the brands being more universally accepted and/or liked than some others. Much of it has to do with the opinions of others and the influence/power of suggestion.

Best way is to experiment. What is the best way to experiment? Buy a whole bunch and then sell all the ones you didn't like? No. A much better way is to borrow them and try them in your system once you have addressed proper speaker placement, assembled components that jell well together and put the finishing touch on your system with cables. Borrow them from the Cable Company library and once you come across cables that make your system sound great, stick to them and buy those.