View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 12:11 PM

Default Dear Jim, would appreciate your thoughts on the Noble series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
The noble line is very good. Give it a listen.

Dear Jim,

Hi my name is Leon and I note with interest that you have a pair of MBL 111Es. Its been a while since I last upgraded my system, but with a family possibly in the way next year, I am being naughty and thinking of getting rid of my Cary tube system for a solid state (my excuse is that it is more child friendly). I am drawing up a shortlist of brands which I like and the MBL is one of them. My wife has heard the 116F and likes the MBL sound, so that's one barrier down! I am getting a bit lazy these days and a bit wary of wasting much money experimenting with different branded components and now would prefer to buy an entire music system from a single brand. That way I can be sure that I do know that I am getting very much the sound I auditioned.

I would like to ask you whether the MBL 111s can be driven satisfactorily with their recommended Noble line 8011AM monoblocks. I have no doubt that their Reference range 9007 or 9008A would do a better job but the price differential is considerable. I am also rather a believer in the concept that "all components in the audio signal trail should be commensurate", so if I did get a pair of Reference monoblocks, I would not be able to sleep well thinking that my upstream components are "only" of the Noble line! (Help!)

I also noticed that you are driving your MBL 111s with very powerful and good front end electronics. Certainly with 1.2kW of Mac power feeding the 111s, they will sing very well indeed! Have you heard the 111s powered by the 0.3kW 8011AMs? How do they factor up? Another option for me is to consider using Accuphase front end to drive them (M-6000). I like the sonic qualities and build of the Accuphase gear but am not sure if they are synergistic with MBLs.

I apologize for the rambling and look forwards to your reply.

With kind regards,
Leon