View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 02:15 PM

Here is something if you hadn't seen it. https://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...klh/index.html
Thanks for the reference. I have already read the article, as well as the 1968 article that is referenced.
The thing that impresses me is that in 1968 he said the Model Nine was the best speaker he had heard up to that point. Seven years later (in 1975) he again said the Model Nine was the best speaker he had heard up to that point.
I know there were a lot of speaker advances between '68 and '75, but according to him, none of theses "advances" moved any other speaker to the top spot, pushing the Model Nine aside.
Now, in 2017, we are 42 years past the 1975 statement. I do not know the history of Maggies (first heard of them about 1988). But, according to the forum posts and reviews, there have been a lot of improvement in Maggies in the past 25 years.
So, I am trying to make up my mind whether to go with the "classic" standard of excellence, or if Magnepan has passed up that standard.
Living in the "backwoods" of Florida (we are so far in the backwoods that we are an hour behind the rest of the state), the closest high-end shops are 180 miles away in New Orleans, La. (three states away). So, my ability to go listen for myself is much more limited than if I were in a more metropolitan area. So, I am hoping someone has experienced both and can give a comparison.
Thanks,
Jim