View Single Post
Old 10-15-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscotth View Post
Instead of running your mains "full-range", it is suggested to plug all ports on the mains and cross-over set to 80Hz, sending only 80Hz and above to the mains, and 80Hz and below to the subs. Works very well, I've tried both and prefer to run my mains Full-Range!
Have you tried leaving the ports open on the mains and crossover at 80Hz? Also, what slope is the crossover frequency set at? One of my problems with subs (and I admit that I don't like them) is that often the main speakers have altered sound characteristics when the subs are added. Plugging the ports sounds like a bad idea to me because it would alter the sound of the mains. The mains are the most important part of any system and having carefully selected them, the last thing that should be done is to compromise them. Another factor is in the crossovers. All else equal, the crossover change is most pronounced as the slope gets steeper. So a first order (i.e. 6 db/octave) filter would be expected to have less audible impact than a second order (12 db/octave) which in turn would have less audible impact than a third order (18 db/octave) and so on. There is a lot to consider and getting it all dialed in is not easy.