View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Mike.......This is good news. I may have to go ahead and spring for a set. Did you go straight from the stock McIntosh 12AX7 tubes to the Gold Lion tubes, or have you been listening to other tubes?

I have had the Tung-Sol gold pin 12AX7 tubes installed in my C1000T for the past six months or so, but two nights ago I decided to put my Telefunken tubes back on the porch. Having the Telefunken tubes in the preamp has served to remind me once again just how good the Tung-Sol gold pins sound. The Teles are so silky smooth top to bottom, solid punch on dynamics, and ultra quiet. I was expecting to hear a bit more of a difference from the Tung-Sol tubes, but not so. Perhaps the Teles are a tad more articulate in the upper midrange, but the Tung-Sol gold pins are definitely in the ballpark with the Telefunken's. When you consider a set of four Tung-Sol gold pin 12AX7's run $100, and good Telefunken's run about that price per tube, the Tung-Sol gold pins are an excellent performer, and a truly amazing value.
Dan,

I had replaced the 1 phono section with some Electro Harminoux as a test, and liked it a lot better than the stocks, but once i got the Lions in, replaced all of them and let them burn in a little, I preferred the lions sound.

Lions on the Porch:

Cheers!

Mike