View Single Post
Old 11-26-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax View Post
I am curious do you use the Direcstream in two channel with Roomperfect enabled. Does the MX150 do and A to D the D to A and is it masking any of the Directstreams sound stage width, depth or instrument separation. or are you running analog through purestereo mode on th MX150?

I have an MX150 and curious what a Directstream might add over internal DAC and if the Roomperfect masks any perceived improvements.
Yes, I use the DirectStream with RoomPerfect enabled and that implementation for my room and sub is perfect. So much better that I no longer saw a need for my separate analog preamp, which did not have the sub engaged.

I run the DirectStream into the MX150's analog XLR inputs which uses the DirectStream DAC. The MX150 does not have a so called pure analog mode as everything ends up digital. This doesn't bother me because all I care about is the sound. I even run my turntable's preamp into the MX150 with RoomPerfect and love it. Running RoomPerfect is time consuming to get it right but its benefits for my room were enormous compared to straight pure analog. The settings I use are Balanced XLR input, Stereo, No Post Processing, Neutral Voicing and I have 3 Focus points and decided Focus 1 sounds the best for 2 channel and movies.

There is no masking of sound stage width or instrument separation with the MX150 and in fact I believe its all enhanced. Every firmware upgrade of the DirectStream is easily heard and Snowmass is phenomenal.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub