View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bung99 View Post
Hi
Just wondering how the Genalex E88CC/6922 valves would be in the Chinook. I had good results with Genalex in my McIntosh cC220 over their standard valves but I understand the 6922EH in the Manley are very good to start with so at about $50 each here in Aus it is not cheep to test.
I am not unhappy with what I hear now but just wonder if for $200 I can get an improvement that I can hear.

Any advice please?

Thanks
I never heard a Chinook, i did have the Steelhead for about 6 years and rolled alot of tubes in it. To the extent the circuits are comparable, the best sounding 6922 in the Steelhead was a NOS Tele. You have to buy those from a reliable source, though, and they aren't cheap. I don't know what tube is in the other slots on the Chinook- in the Steelhead, it was a 7044, and there I found NOS Raytheons to do well, not terribly pricey, but those should be replaced periodically. I can do a little more research if this is unclear.
At least in the case of the Steelhead, tube rolling make a big difference in the sound of the unit. The stock tubes that came with the unit did not let you hear what the unit is capable of.