Thread: Trachorns
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Against the Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelHedge View Post
deaf --- On a lark I decided to explore the sound of high efficiency audio and my first step on the path was to build a system around new Khorns knowing their obvious limitations. With the combination of my work and the volume of extra equipment I had in house to test with the Khorn, it took roughly 6 months to approach what I would call enjoyable sound.

In researching how to make a Khorn better I have come to the conclusion that the most complete way is to buy another horn speaker which has been engineered to a much more demanding standard.

This is very much a minority opinion. The Klipsch world is more comfortable with the notion that a good horn speaker is more a collection of good parts loosely tied together by a passive crossover which is rumored to be "universal".

I am more comfortable with the notion that a speaker is 20% parts and 80% clever engineering. Great speakers tend to have great parts and great engineering...

Oddly enough, in the UK they still engineer a superb Khorn with significantly better parts than its US cousin --- it retails for roughly 25K pounds and is rumored to be heavenly.

Failing the super Khorn CN191 --- there are a number of properly engineered horns which utilize the worlds best drivers, low order passive crossovers or in the extreme case very good active crossovers --- many of these speakers obtain very good results within the context of a system which includes the proper amp and front end...
Can you please tell me which loudspeaker has been in continuous production for the longest period of time...?