Thread: GAT Series 2
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
very true. I went through literally 5 or 6 pairs of cj EH tubes in short periods of time as they kept getting noisy. I then tried some Philips Holland / Pope PCC88/7DJ8 and Telefunken PCC88/7DJ8.
IMO, the stk EH tubes still sounded better than these highly rated PCC88's - I guess that is why cj had to re-design the GAT to get the best out of the PC88 as well as some evolutionary upgrades learned over time.

I then bit the bullet and tried the Telefunken E88CC / 6922. Boom - an increase in performance in every parameter. They have also lasted 2 years without any issues - the last 6 months they have literally been on 24/7 as running with my SS amp.

That is the conundrum - My GAT with tele E88CC sounds magnificent. Why spend another AU 7K or so to upgrade? AU importer will never bring a new GAT2 into the country, so impossible to know how much better the GAT2 is over GAT1 with Tele 6922's.

first world problems

Hello Shane,

I finally got the chance to try a pair of Telefunken E188CC in my GAT and I feel exactly like you. The GAT went from fabulous to stellar with these tubes. The GAT2 may be an improvement but I really do not feel the need to change anything from the sound I have with the original GAT. Thanks a lot fro recommending to me these Telefunken tubes. Actually they came to me in a strange way. I did not ask for them and a friend who came to listen to my speakers brought a pair to me.
Sometimes “Luck “ just knocks at your door and makes you a wonderful gift.