View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 07:46 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
12" arms have lower tracing distortion than 9" arms. I love my 12" arm.
They generally have higher effective mass, so you should check to make sure your cartridge is compatible.
There is a calculator on the vinyl engine website that will tell if you if you have an ideal combination.
You are looking for an arm-cartridge resonant frequency between 8 Hz and 11 Hz. Any lower and footfalls are amplified, any higher and the bass gets flabby.

Mass is your friend if you are having footfall issues. The rotating mass of my turntable is 50 pounds. That's just the platter mind you, the rest of the turntable weighs more.

Good luck on your journey!

Tom
It is a journey. Well spoken. And it just got more complicated. I've mentioned I was also considering SACD and speaker changes; I went to the NY Audio Show yesterday and came away with the knowledge that I can get a Marantz SA-10 for a really good price, and I still want Legacy Focus SE speakers, though Bryston Model Ts would be good substitutes. I cannot do all three; I'd have to empty my bank account (literally).

I also explore an isolation platform for my current (or future) TT and have been in contact with Gingko. That could be a short-term action (provided it works) while I try to fix my head and make sensible decisions going forward.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks