View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 06:55 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_tube View Post
Ginko platform carrying capacity is determined by the number of balls used. Each ball suspends 10 pounds of weight optimally (up to around 20 pounds per). Add more balls as determined by your equipment weight.

Call Mr Vu and he'll get you set up.

Had one years ago - worked well, but IIRC the TT still had some springiness to it from footfalls, but; better than just being on the credenza.

Best Sirs,

Bob
I will keep this in mind going forward.

Perhaps one reason I don't play records much, other than the time factor, is the footfall issue. I think that's driving this search for something better suited to my circumstances. If I balk and choose to move on SACD or speakers instead I could still get a platform for the current VPI and see if that helps; it weighs around 60 lbs.

I still favor a detachable headshell (spoiled by my SME 309), which takes me to Pro-ject's Signature line. The Signatures don't come with a dustcover, adding to the TT's cost (bummer). There are the "SuperPack" versions, with cartridge, and the Signature 10 SuperPack is $7K; the regular Signature 10 (no cartridge) is $6K. That's still a lot, and I don't know if I'd play enough records to justify that expense. The Xtension 10 SuperPack, on the other hand, is $4K and the Xtension 12 SuperPack is $5K, both WITH dustcover. If I can get past the lack of a removable headshell I will do better. I'm not there yet.

Time will tell if I feel more strongly about my TT, SACD, or speakers. I can't afford to do them all; it's probably one or none. But I do like the idea of the Xtension 10 so far, as it seems to have good vibration-resistance.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks