View Single Post
Old 05-03-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
Am I correct in assuming that the modification will upgrade the signal path exiting through the analog outputs (both balanced and unbalanced), but will do nothing for the HDMI output, even if you set the Oppo up to send PCM versus the bitstream to the downstream receiver? Or, will the HDMI out with Oppo DAC engaged actually benefit in some way from this mod as well. Most likely I would be using XLRs out for 2 channel and RCA's out for MCH (Movies and MCH music), But HDMI would be hooked up for video of course.
I might be able to help with this as I just went through the upgrade prcess with a BDP-105d. The basic 105 mod is for the 2 channel outputs only, this includes
the balanced & unbalanced outputs. There is no MCH signal on these ports, you would use HDMI, coaxial or optical for MCH, also, per copyright restrictions
SACD audio cannot be sent throught coax or optical, only HDMI.

The basic mod does not touch the MCH side, however, adding the Bybee rail upgrade (2 are possible, 1 for the 2CH dac and 1 for the MCH dac) to the MCH
dac is one. The Audio Magic Pulse Gen upgrade impacts both sides.

If you intend to use the unit as a blu-ray player via HDMI you will not have to turn on the modwrite external power supply as that is only required when 2CH
audio is playing.

Since receiving my modwright player I have replaced the 2 6SN7 stock tubes with Sophia 6SN7's and the power supply rectifier tube with a Phillips
5R4GY (power supply must have the case hole to handle this tube as its larger then the case) both of these have enahanced the performance.

As a comparison I also have in my system a Linn Akurate DS, a very capable streaming device. From all I can tell the Modwright BDP-105d is
just as good, if not better sounding than the Linn.