Thread: Vac
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 09:17 PM

VAC is a GREAT brand, though I've had some mixed feelings about them over the years. I owned a Renaissance III preamp w/ MC phono some years ago, when my system was less evolved. Auditioned the new Renaissance Phono Stage in my system not long ago. And have heard their amps in various other setups at my dealer's.

They all sound beautiful, but there's definitely the sense of a "house" sound. Featuring a beautiful, slightly wet/warm and very full midrange that's the star of the show. The treble has a nice touch of sparkle and the midbass has a nice touch of bloom, but perhaps at the expense of ultimate extension and speed on both ends (and power on the bass side). VAC gear is extremely smooth and refined; completely absent of any grit/hash/grain.

The three 12AX7 built-in phono board of the Renaissance III was *excellent*, but its Lundahl MC SUT was notable improved upon by an outboard Bob's Devices 1131 (i.e. pay for the MM board but not the MC). The line stage itself was a good performer, and initially had me gobsmacked when I first heard it, but I feel there are more linear/transparent sounding options at that price point. I believe they now have a mark V version, and of course VAC offers a number of models positioned/priced WAY above this linestage!

The new stand-alone Renaissance phono stage sounded great, but at 10K honestly it should cost a bit less. It beat my NOS-tube tricked-out Rogue Ares Magnum w/ Sky 40 SUT in midrange and noise floor; the Rogue won in bass and dynamics. This was with a Koetsu Onyx Platinum. If it did a little better in dynamics, or cost a chunk less, it may have stayed with me. It's not even balanced. I had higher hopes for it based on how awesome the Renaissance III preamp's built-in MM phono board performed, as only a $1K add-on option. That said, I'd like to give it another try now that I've solidified some serious system upgrades; phono noise floor is the only glaring weakness left to address.

I haven't heard the VAC amps in my own system, but I've heard some pretty damn phenomenal systems featuring their amps (usually featuring their preamps as well). GREAT mix of technicality and musicality! But price per Watt/pound/etc is VERY high.

Last edited by mulveling; 11-01-2017 at 09:24 PM.