View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 11:48 AM
The Architect

I believe that the ModWright Oppo 105 is an outstanding universal player, and I'm extremely pleased with mine. The Darbee edition for the extra $100 is a no-brainer, both for the enhanced video processing but also more importantly for the upgraded USB digital input which does allow for DSD processing by the DACs. The non-Darbee version will play DSD files, but only via USB connection with an external hard drive or memory stick. I don't have a lot of DSD digital files at this point, so this isn't a huge issue for me, but for the extra $100 having that option on the new player is an easy choice to make. My understanding of the Darbee processing is that it is somewhat display dependent on the level of improvement, and that is does make a more significant difference with 3-D material if that matters to you.

As far as the sound quality of the ModWright Oppo, it would definitely be a nice upgrade for you over your MVP881, both in terms of features and sound quality. I have heard both units multiple times, and while the 881 is a nice sounding unit, the MW 105 is definitely a better sounding player, especially once you upgrade the stock tubes. Be sure to let us know what you decide on...
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables