View Single Post
Old 12-14-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knecht View Post
I was able to answer my own question today. I went to a Magico dealer and demo'd the A3's. Maybe I was expecting to much, but I didn't fall in love with them. The sound stage and placement of instruments was excellent. However, the more I listened, I found the mids and highs a little harsh at times. The A3's were connected to a Dan D'Agostino Progression amp which has 600w into 4 ohms so plenty of power. Everything was streamed through Roon and they were using a Chord DAC (I didn't catch the model) and the new Chord Hugo M Scaler. I also listened to the S1 MKII's and I noticed an immediate improvement in mids and highs, very smooth. The S1's MKII's were were excellent, but lacked the lower bass of the A3's which is expected considering they are a 2-way. I also had a chance to listen to a pair of TAD-E1's and they were impressive, now discontinued so I could score an amazing deal. After all of that, I have decided to stick with the Sopra 2's. I'm sure I would love the S1 MKII's but would eventually miss the bass and I don't want to buy the sub.
I auditioned the S3 MkII, and loved it, but it cost twice what I paid for my Sopra 3s.