View Single Post
Old 12-14-2018, 08:12 PM

I was able to answer my own question today. I went to a Magico dealer and demo'd the A3's. Maybe I was expecting to much, but I didn't fall in love with them. The sound stage and placement of instruments was excellent. However, the more I listened, I found the mids and highs a little harsh at times. The A3's were connected to a Dan D'Agostino Progression amp which has 600w into 4 ohms so plenty of power. Everything was streamed through Roon and they were using a Chord DAC (I didn't catch the model) and the new Chord Hugo M Scaler. I also listened to the S1 MKII's and I noticed an immediate improvement in mids and highs, very smooth. The S1's MKII's were were excellent, but lacked the lower bass of the A3's which is expected considering they are a 2-way. I also had a chance to listen to a pair of TAD-E1's and they were impressive, now discontinued so I could score an amazing deal. After all of that, I have decided to stick with the Sopra 2's. I'm sure I would love the S1 MKII's but would eventually miss the bass and I don't want to buy the sub.
McIntosh MA12000, Wilson SabrinaX, Bluesound Node 2i, Transparent Ultra Gen5 Speaker Cables, Transparent Gen5 Powerwave, Transparent High Performance Gen5 Power Cables, Transparent Premium Gen5 75 Ohm Digital Cable, Tidal Connect