View Single Post
Old 05-03-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
Rect is for IIPS and I have not hear a difference as long as the tube is direct heated. Running a Tubestore 274b now because I like the big st shape.
Tubestore 274b is actually a rly nice new production rectifier, and I generally dislike almost all the new production rectifiers I've tried.
Even with my KT88 firebottle with IIPS I notice changes with rectifiers tho. I think somebody said earlier in this thread that the tube rectifier is still what supplies the B+.

I've used type 80 rectifiers with IIPS, and they don't give enough power, really kills dynamics, but apart from that they have insane clarity. Probably why Dennis uses type 80 rectifiers in his 45 amps as 45 tubes don't need nearly as much power as pentodes. Err, power, more like voltage drop. Idk something like that.

I bought some 6f6 glass (I know many people were raving about the metal ones here). Even tho they work with my kt88 firebottle, not enough power for my speakers. Going to be using them in the pentode 6v6 headamp I have coming. Excited to see how they compare to kt66/6v6/6l6.

I generally have the same problem with 5y3 as type 80 tho (5y3 is actually electrically very similar to type 80, it evolved from that), low dynamics. I prefer gz34/5r4, maybe a 5u4 if the mood is right. Then again I mostly use kt88 in mine because my speakers need that power. 5y3 probably mesh better with the lower power pentodes such as the 6f6.