Thread: AX-5 Twenty
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 06:23 PM

Have owned it since the first updated ones. It's a beast. Best sounding integrated I've owned and the best I auditioned under 50k. The preamp is about as good as it gets in an integrated. Personally, I like it a bit better than going with the 5 series separates. Advantages to each, but it's dead quiet and sounds neither tube nor SS. Looks great in the cabinet and works perfectly with my QX5 too, lol.

What is the rest of your system that you will use it with? If it's teh one with the Esoteric DAC and teh N10, then you will really enjoy it I bet. My friend has had nearly every server in his system and I've had a bunch too. So far, nothing has beaten the N10 and that includes many of the esoteric computer based ones.

I use mine with Vandersteen Quatro CT's and it crushes it. Personally, in my room, that 27k duo beats anything else I've had in here up to 60k (both pieces). JMHO of course. Just gives you all the detail, attack and decay, tonality, pace rhythm and timing etc... Never etched, but as extended as you want. You can listen to Mingus on piano on a Sunday morning and never be fatigued. Even organ music or even electronic stuff that goes into the mid 20's will be full on in my room.