View Single Post
Old 05-17-2022, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
Personally I wouldn't say you are at the end of the journey until you've also listened to some of the old standards, like US made Tung Sol or GE 6550s, or their British KT 88 counterparts. Yes they are expensive to buy, but if you have other toob rolling friends, they can always help you out with a loan or bring some by for a listening session.

I do this with Dennis all the time....
Yeah, I’m getting close to the end. I’m not going to pony up the money for real kt88, kt66, or ecc32 tubes. As it is I’m plumbing the depths of alternative options. I had never heard of the bl63 tubes but I’m glad I found them. While I haven’t had the chance to hear American 6550 I haven’t been impressed with the kt88 and 6550 I have heard. Plus, hearing a tube I don’t want to pay for would be the ultimate tease lol.

I do wish I could get a Firebottle KT88 with a 12v option, at least for the input tube. I’ve ordered a PP amp from another guy that will allow me to use 6v or 12v on either input or output tubes. I’ve already got a selection of 12sn7 tubes for my preamp including black glass round plate Tungsol and the so called bad boy Sylvania tubes. They live up to the hype I’m not about to pay the price for the 6sn76 equivalents though.