View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 03:28 PM

Default Would a Venom 14 Digital frost the cake?

The more I listen to my bedroom system that's now fed AC from wall to Hydra and from Hydra to DAC by Venom NR v10s the more I'm impressed with the transparency, venue scale, fluidity, and dynamics embedded in the SACD, HDAD, and CD rips and high-resolution downloads that constitute the system's listening fare. All of the music is stored on an external USB hard drive and is output to the DAC via JRiver installed on a Windows 10 laptop.

The laptop gets its AC from a switched mode power supply, and the feed from the Hydra to the SMPS is via a detachable C5-terminated ("Mickey Mouse") power cord. The supply's hard-wired output and the input connector at the laptop rule out use of a better cable between it and the SMPS, but I wonder if I would hear a non-placebo improvement in the sonic presentation if a C5-terminated Venom 14 Digital replaced the stock cord connecting it to the Hydra--i.e., would the 14 Digital reduce if not eliminate SMPS-emitted noise that's leaking back to the Hydra?

Thoughts and comments--especially experience-based--welcome.

Thanks.

Bedroom:
Aurender N150-->Bryston BDA-3-->EMIA Elmaformer Cu passive line stage-->conrad-johnson MF2500-->Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
Wireworld Eclipse IC and SC
Shunyata Delta D6, Alpha XC, Delta NR v.2; Altaira CG Hub
Stillpoints Aperture II; Ultra SS; Ultra Mini
GIK Monster; 242
Butcher Block Acoustics Maple Platforms