View Single Post
Old 05-07-2020, 01:09 PM

I sometimes wonder that when Canton first envisioned developing a true reference line of speakers what engineering and production values where a priority for them aside from just making a great sounding speaker. Going now as I am on 4 years of ownership I feel pretty confidant that the answer has to be - make the piano sound real.

I'm saying this because a while back I picked up (on a Stereophile recommendation) a CD of the Helene Grimaud "Memory" (Deutsche Grammophon B0029051-02) title. It's all solo piano of classical music from the likes of Debussy, Satie, Chopin and others. I've listened to it many times and each and every time I cannot help but marvel at how pure and transparent the Ref 1 DC's portray her performances in my room. This especially at low listening volume. There's no veil, no scrim, nothing that stands between my ears and the purity of the struck piano chord. It's just brilliant.

I don't know anything about how an engineer/designer goes about voicing a speaker, but for some reason when I listen to this title it strikes me that the accurate and faithful reproduction of the piano had to be very high on their list of priorities.

In closing, I have to say this is the one time where the recommendation from both a five star rating for sonics and performance are spot on accurate.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)