Thread: Shindo to Kondo
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
As a former Ongaku owner, I would really love it if you could tell us more about the Kagura mono blocks. They look fantastic!

Thanks

howie
Hi Howie, Yes the Kagura are special. I understand that the pricing is "way out there". The Kagura is very expensive but it is Kondo's flagship product and it's not so out of control if you compare it to the former flagship amplifier the Gakuon II.

What the Kagura does is allow the same type, and actually even another level of sound than the Ongaku provides. The biggest difference is that the Kagura can drive most real world speakers in a fairly good size room. They can driver most speakers that are > 87db efficient. With the Ongaku you really need to be >91db efficient, although listening levels and room size always play into the equation as well.

When I first heard the Kagura my thought was the Ongaku was obsolete. After becoming familiar now I realize that the sound is very similar between the Ongaku and the Kagura, but the speaker matching/room size/listening levels is all turned upside down with the Kagura.

My personal Kaguras are at Key Kim's place at the moment. Key will be doing a an upcoming review at Stereo Times for the Kagura. I will have the Kagura here at Rhapsody by the end of May. Anyone that is in the NY area or visiting is always welcome to come in for a listen. I drive the Raidho D1's and D3's and the Magicos S1's, S3's and S5's currently as this is what I have available but for instance Key is driving Kharma and Consensus speakers. That's the fun part with the Kagura you can pretty much drive any speaker that you prefer.

Thx for asking about the Kagura and again anyone is always welcome to come in for a listen!