View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 08:34 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joffieb View Post
Hi,
I am writing from Johannesburg South Africa.
I have tried to set up my speakers with the Master Set system and so far have spent about 45 minutes trying to do so. I am using B&W 685 S2 speakers and a Rotel RA05ED amplifier [40 W]. My listening area is a room, 6m wide by 4.5 m deep joined to a dining room, 6m wide by 3.5m deep separated only in part by a 2.5m wall behind the listening position. I am finding it a little bit complicated and have a few questions I hope you are willing to answer:
1. Is my room too big for the system to work? In other words, will my speakers and amplifier have enough power and a movement to do the job?
2. Is there a way to objectively hear somehow what I am listening for in the base? For example if I listened to the song on Apple AirPods on Apple Music with the EQ set on a particular setting, for example Bass Booster, would that give me an idea of the correct song?
4. Does it help to turn the treble knob on the amplifier down while listening for the base or will that mess things up?
5. My room has a glass sliding door to one side and an ordinary door on the other. Should they be closed, open or is it immaterial?
6. Finally, I have a glass table that must stay in the room. Should it be left uncovered while doing the set up?
Thank you so much?

This is a link to a sketch of my room: https://mega.nz/file/IGp2gRLK#1BtFuz...2SmP1y_zaHYVeo
In a past life, I spent 14 years teaching MASTERS at Sumiko.

1. No your room is not too large. Masters is about the room/speaker interaction. No matter how large or how small the room, there is always interaction.

2. Using EQ defeats any attempt you are making to properly place the speaker.
As you stop at a position, ask the following questions about the bass: 1) Is the bass output higher? (Louder) 2) Is it extended? (Lower) 3) Is it linear? (Can you hear all the notes in the correct relationship to one another?)

4. (What happened to 3?) - The signal should be full range without any alteration. Do not EQ, do not cut. You need to know every aspect of the room/speaker interaction.

5. Leave the door as you would during normal listening.

6. Leave the glass top table as it will be when you are listening.

You are setting up around the room, using it to your advantage when you can and windowing out where it is a detriment.

Best wishes for success.