View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascais View Post
A year ago I bought a Ref 5, used in great condition but decided to upgrade to SE. Because of uncertainty when the upgrade could be done and because it had to be done locally (I live in Europe) I decided to go for a new Ref 5SE, so have had a chance to compare the two. The Ref 5 was great in my system, harmonically rich with precise imaging and a 3D layered sound stage, in big works and small jazz groups. Everything was where it should be and sounding right. While waiting for the new preamp, I was wondering why I was making the change. However, out of the box the SE seemed superior, delivering a bigger sound with improved bass response. Big, bold and breathy. Diana Krall's voice on Quiet Nights, for example, very sensuous; and it sorted out the rather confused guitar cords on Suzanne Vega's Luka like no other component I have experienced. It was like the Ref 5 on steroids. Lately I noted some inconsistency at about 60 hours but there is a long way to go to 500. BTW, the SE comes with a more precise metal remote to replace the miserable plastic thing that came with the other machine.
Welcome Cascais!

The 5SE will continue to get better - mine is at around 500 hrs and it sounds wonderful.