View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 01:40 AM

I think any claim that any (choose one) well engineered high-end TT (which the Clearaudio certainly is) lacks in bass needs to be met with some funny looks. There are LOTS of ways to make the bass go AWOL in a high-end analog rig: poor cartridge/arm choice, phono stage, bad setup, etc. Or maybe even look at the speaker setup. Blaming the table is easy to do, but misguided.

I get pretty epic bass response with my Innovation Wood feeding into a Hagerman Trumpet and Bob's 1131 SUT. Cart is a Koetsu Jade Platinum; the platinums have great bass, but are certainly no bass monsters. The Trumpet/1131 pairing has the best bass response of the phono stages I've tried, and the differences between stages in bass are not particularly subtle. The tradeoff is that the Trumpet also doesn't have much of a subsonic filter, so you've got to be careful with isolation.

I'd actually like to try an Ortofon Windfeld in this setup. I had a hard time accepting the Windfeld's midrange (a far cry from Koetsu), but its bass was insane -- nimble, extended, and immensely powerful without a hint of bloat or sloppiness (i.e. analogous to the Trumpet/1131). I think the Windfeld with Innovation/1131/Trumpet would yield truly EPIC bass response.

Last edited by mulveling; 03-30-2014 at 01:45 AM.