View Single Post
Old 05-31-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldhorse View Post
I did the experiment I mentioned earlier with the LINN today; bypassing the LP-3a, and connecting the LINN's PRE OUT directly to the Hot-Rod. The difference was quite obvious after just a few bars of music. With the KT66, the sound was hard-edged, and lackluster. The KT77 was more forgivable, and I could just bear enjoying a few tunes, but did not take long for me to long for the LP-3a again. I liked the LINN as one complete system, as the source, PRE, and AMP. But it's PRE just did not have the chemistry with the Hot-Rod. So I definitely made the correct decision in getting the LP-3a, at least as far as the KT77 and KT88 are concerned.

I think an Inspire pre and amp is an unbeatable combination.

I'm thinking of sending the link to Dennis, see what he thinks

Valve Arts don't seem to be in wide circulation over here. I found one reseller but he doesn't seem to keep them in stock, thus has a very long lead time. Tung-Sol 6550 seem interesting as well. Have you had a chance to hear Psvane and Shuguang variants? I see a lot of good reviews, though as a matter of personal taste I don't like smoked valves. Where's the fun in that

Amplified Parts has some Valve Art tubes. Valve Art is Shuguangs export label. Ruby Tubes, I believe are very similar. Ditto for tubes labeled Electron Valve. There some excellent Chinese tubes that are no longer in production.

BTW, I don't find the KT77 lacking in bass, not as big as the KT66 for sure, but still has very good presence. Must be my system.

Give the KT77's some time to settle in.

There's going to be an analogue audio fair in a couple of weeks in Tokyo. A number tube distributor, will be bringing his wares and I'm hoping to dig up some interesting valves.
That should be

I have the TS6550 new production but prefer the pair of Electron Valve 6550's for $35 on the auction site. The TS is quite good though.

IMHO, the Shuguang and Psvane CV-181/6SN7's surpass the old production tube I have for long term enjoyment. YMMV.