View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
I'd urge you to do more research. As Rex mentioned, your square dimensions are not desirable, but you should seek some additional quotes just for your own peace of mind.

Draw your room to scale and send the information to GIK or RPG and see what you get back from them. Assuming you're not hiring a designer, they'll be as good as anybody in estimating a package for your room. $6500 for materials sounds like a lot for such a small space.
I agree, getting proposals from more than one place would be a great idea. I have used all three firms mentioned (ASC, RPG, GIK). They all provide fine products, but there are differences. ASC is not cheap, but their products are low-VOC, and they work closely with you to customize for a residential setting. RPG also makes great products. Where ASC panels have fabric over the back, RPG BAD panels (which are great) have exposed fiberglass unless you special order. GIK also makes great products, at the lowest cost of the three. In contrast to ASC, some of their products are purely absorptive, which may deaden the room too much unless you're careful. Also, things like the GIK Soffit Traps are made to a lower aesthetic standard than similar traps from ASC. But, how aesthetic do you need?

Vicoustic also makes fine products, some of which are beautiful as well.

I agree with the suggestion to go slowly. The general way I go about things is to treat slap echo, first reflections on the sidewalls, and introduce some bass trapping. Evaluate and add refinements from there.

A Dayton OmniMic2 for < $300 can tell you a lot about room response.

Acoustic treatment, especially in a difficult room, may seem costly at first, but it can be the most cost-effective audio improvement you'll make.

Good luck!