View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_david View Post
Is Brooklyn a high end DAC?

I am thinking of Chord 2Qute or Brooklyn DAC for my Bluesound Node 2 streamer.

Can you share some thoughts, please.
I have had a PS Audio DirectStream DAC now for about 2 1/2 years and for "regular" AIFF-FLAC files, in my system the DirectStream DAC sounds a little better than the Brooklyn, which I'd say "yes" is a "high end" DAC that is about 90% as "good" as the PS Audio DAC...with "regular" files.

It's becoming apparent to me that, to get the full benefit of MQA, one must purchase a DAC that does "end-to-end" MQA decoding, like the Brooklyn. I don't believe that doing the first part of the MQA decoding (the "unfolding") doesn't (to my mind) provide the most significant benefits of MQA.

Keep in mind that the Brooklyn is 1/3 the price of the DirectStream DAC, and it offers a really excellent headphone amp, inputs for turntables and a really fine volume control...very much could be considered a "preamp". I think it's an excellent value, for the money.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling