View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 01:52 AM

Default Don't forget the Butt Kickers!

May sound gimmicky, but for movies they can add that extra impact to the whole experience. In fact they allow you to have the subwoofer output where it should be, not jacked-up for impact. If subs add that fourth dimension, Ivan, the Butt Kicker could be considered the fifth.

In my home theater, I built a 20' x 20' wooden platform, for all seating. Used 2"x12" boards as a foundation toped with 3/4" plywood. Glued and screwed to ensure no sound from vibration. 2x12 boards were stood on side and spaced every 12". Used 3" tall rubber feet throughout to suspend the entire platform. Then mounted 6 Butt Kickers, evenly spaced, to 2x12 boards under plywood. Cut access openings for each, in the event of failure. Measured and made a diagram so they would be easy to find under carpet & padding. Also stapled rubber floor padding to cover each side of every 2x12 under the plywood, to try to eliminate any sound resonance from the platform.

Using three class D 1,000 watt Butt Kicker 2-channel amps to power the Butt Kickers. Amps have gain control and cross-over. I used an auxiliary output from my Lexicon MC12B, which allows me remote control of the Butt Kickers.

Worked out fantastic.