Thread: Out of phase
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
Depending upon the crossover's order (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.) you may need to invert the phase of the compression driver relative to the bass driver. You stated that you can't verify the phase of the compression driver via membrane movement, but is its polarity marked? Check the crossover's specifications to ensure that the two drivers are connected in their recommended polarities which may not match between the two drivers by design.
yes, the compression drivers are marked. I have tried also to invert the wires for one, then for both the compression drivers, while keeping the bass drivers conected correctly. Still no joy

Since the bass drivers seem to be ok, one thing I think of is that the compression drivers (one of them, or both) could be wired wrongly from the factory. That is why I tried what I stated above (to keep the bass drivers wired correctly, and just invert one, then both, the compression drivers) - but no joy.

Then I am wondering, since the bass drivers are ok, shouldn't they cancel (the signal output) when I connect one speaker reversed (red for - )? But the sound is quite good, as opposite with the situation when the speakers are connected in the correct way (but out of phase).

Also, the person who designed and executed the crossovers has worked a lot with Shindo (in Germany) and with Altecs, so I am sure 99.9% he knows his stuff. He suggested the Montille might have an issue (but I have tried two other amplifiers beside the Montille), or the GPA's (the battery test was suggested by himself). Even more, I have shipped back the crossovers to Germany and he double-checked them as he knew my issue.