View Single Post
Old 10-05-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
This does not match my personal and extended listening experience with MC 2301’s and MC 601’s in my home. I forgot to mention I also listened to both amps with Sonus Faber Amati Futura speakers with similar results. Maybe the MC 601’s are not the best McIntosh power amplifiers but I have no personal experience with the MC 1.2kw or other larger amps so I can’t comment on those. I do own an MC 602 and it may qualify as a modern McIntosh solid state amp as it is quad balanced, but again, the MC 2301 clearly beats it in overall sonics, at least to my ears.

Tubes are an expense and a pita to deal with. There is no debating that - it’s fact. So you have to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Tom
I believe the discussion was about the C1100 vs the 2301 regarding what to build a system around. The 2301 is an extremely fine tube power amp, no question, but it won't work well with every speaker. I think the C1100 will. Also the statement about it being the "gold standard" meaning its up there with the best 2 or 3 power amps in existence, well that's saying a lot.

Last edited by Charles; 10-05-2018 at 05:48 PM.