Thread: Tannoy GRF 90
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 11:57 PM

They look awesome! Your system looks fantastic!!

It takes time for the dual concentric drivers to 'bed in' and start to produce decent base.

Having read a number of Japanese Audio blogs on Tannoys (the joy of employing a fluent Japanese speaker- sadly now left the country & touring Korea) they all say it takes up to 500 hours at decent volumes to get Tannoys doing bass.

In fact, some commentators have stated that some Japanese owners of big Tannoys NEVER fully run them in due to the speakers being 'shoehorned' into small apartments. and only played as low to moderate levels- hell I crank up my Tannoys all the time- 15" drivers can energize a room!

Having recently returned from Japan, I can testify to the small roomed apartments that large numbers of Japanese Audiophiles live in.

I recently rewired and up-dated the speaker binding posts on my 20 year old Tannoy Canterburys & it took a good 100 hours to get the deep base back.

I also placed my Tannoys on Granite Plinths which vastly improved the bass as the front heavy Canterburys were sinking into the carpet. See this thread http://www.audioaficionado.org/tanno...e-plinths.html

Also, have a play with the cross-over adjustments. I have my Tannoy Canterbury Cross-over adjustments set at Energy -1.5 which suits my listening room - the Roll Off is set at 'Level'. My contact within Tannoy tells me the 'Roll Off' adjustment is really designed to allow the speaker to cope with 78rpm recordings & should always be set to 'Level' if you are not playing them!

Finally- consider buying the Tannoy supertweeters- I think they are a must have. Haven't listened to the new version, but my ST100's seemed to improve the bass response of the Canterbury's.

Have fun!

Nick

Last edited by NZ421291; 09-27-2016 at 12:19 AM.