View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 08:30 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RE View Post
Wel then, LP 2.1 will be perfect for a specific cartidge, which fare well at 400 Ohms.
I don't get this, a 10K+ USD MC phono with a fixed input impedance.
LAMM could at least offer a point at which the user may solder a resistor with specific value..

BAT does this, DartZeel, Atma-Sphere, CAT too. Still the most audiophile way, it skips a switch or relais.. And still no remote volume ? I could be a LAMM guy very well, but these two design choices keep me away. what do you think?
Lamm's CES handout indicates the price is $8690.

Volume control is best suited for a linestage or preamp, and not normally found on a dedicated phono stage, so no surprises there.

The fixed impedance load may or may not work optimally for any given cartridge and I agree it doesn't meet the variable loading check list feature. (I do like the way Atma-Sphere handles cartridge loading on its MP-1 preamp; you can use whatever resistor values you like and don't even need to open the lid to make changes.) Regardless of manufacturer suggestions, I've found sonic results are all over the map with different load values and often not what one would expect. Actual listening will tell the tale. Lamm certainly had success with the predecessor LP2 which also had a fixed input impedance.

I suspect a primary appeal of the LP2.1 is delivering the Lamm sound in a phono stage.
I've not heard the new unit and have no affiliation with Lamm.