View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy
Jérôme.......Your descriptive adjectives for your main amplifier are becoming interesting. "Haute Couture" and "Artisanal" are quite creative. What's next, "Artigiano"?
Dan....you know that I cannot state them in an other way !
They are masterpieces indeed.
What is very shocking is that I listen to the Manleys, and find them extremely good though conscious of some limits, compared to the 2301's And when I switch to my main amps, the Manleys weaknesses become just obvious and clear. And the same happened with the 2301's, that is why I sold them. I had no more pleasure listening to them.
The 2301's and the Manleys have only one thing "more" than my main amps on my speakers : they both go lower in the bass with a bit more weight But the bass of my main amps is tighter and much more resolved. Much richer in harmonics.
I was listening to the beautiful recording of Martin Taylor : Artistry.
With the Manleys, the sound of the bass was the same of an electric bass guitar. Very nice and punchy. But with my main amps, I heard the bass corresponding of the lower notes of an acoustic guitar : much more natural and most of all, the bass notes had a life. They had a beginning, a life and a death. They sounded much longer, with air around them and reverberation.
And this richness of harmonics goes for all the spectrum. I started to see the fingers on the cords ! And what is strange is that this increase in details was together with a better access to the whole melody and I wasn't caught focusing on them. You hear more details, more sounds, you "see" the instruments and yet, you focus more on the music and you do not "analyse" what you hear.
I enjoy a lot the Manleys. I enjoyed a lot the 2301's. And I would have been extremely happy with anyone of them, if I had not listened to
these new amps. They make me "fly" and talk to my soul. They grab your "full mindness conscience", the "sati" as say the buddhists, your Attention and your concentration, and they stick them to the show of the Music. They are in an other dimension, for someone like me.
Probably that not anyone would feel the same. Although 3 audiophiles and among them 2 McIntosh addicts, prefered them clearly to the 2301's, a majority of people could find the opposite.
But for the ones like me who had this precise idea of listening to music, there is no other way to go now.
When you like sugar and sweeties, you can enjoy a lot an industrial cookie bought in a supermarket.
And you will enjoy much more a hand made cookie made by a pastry Master with top notch ingredients. And the day after you can go back to the standard supermarket cookie and still like it.
If I fire on the Manleys today, I know that I will like them a lot. But my true love and passion is not there.

So in a sense, yes, those amps are Art with a capital A and have been designed by a Master with a capital M.
Come spend a week or two or a whole month in my home with Marlene. Listen to music at night with them during hours, and I am sure that this new dimension will be obvious for you too.
Just wait a bit for this Master to make my preamp !

Still, I would like to buy this damn Manley 300B preamp.....!

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado