View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi Marc,

I don't know exactly why it changes the sound quality but to my ears, it does. I believe the reason that I am now noticing the difference is because of the resolving power of the XP-30 preamp I recently added. The last time I switched back and forth, my impressions were that the 0 dB setting produced more delicacy and nuance to the sound, while the +6 dB setting produced a more punchy and dynamic sound. I'll try it again tonight to see if I dreamt all of this.

PS - I did adjust the overall volume level to be equal.

Best,
Ken
I'll be trying it, too. But I suspect it's in our minds. A good preamp (which you and I certainly own) should sound the same regardless of the input volume (within reason), you just need to adjust the output volume to compensate. At least in theory?

I would think that if it sounds different, that indicates a issue with the way the preamp is designed, because it is a fact that no two devices put out the same exact voltage. Every dac and phono pre I have had in my system demands a slightly different volume setting for the same output dB.

At least I think so. But a lot of stuff doesn't make sense in this hobby.