View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnHam View Post
Properly set up and well powered, Maggies can be superb. To achieve this, you will probably spend much more on your amps than the speakers. While not popular on this forum, I believe Sound Lab electrostatics to be the best of all the planars. The large one's are the best, offering full range and total coherence. Their rich tonal balance can be enjoyed anywhere in the room, and as long as they have about 3' behind them, they will work well in most rooms.
MthHam,
Those Sound Labs speakers are huge. I’ll bet they do sound good. That is a nice view out your window too.

Vego99,

I started with 1.7’s which were nice and then upgraded after a year to the 3.7’s which are really nice. I have to push mine back up again the wall which is easy to do but gets to be a pain. Mine are not spiked. Someday I hope to move them to a dedicated room in the basement. My bay window is on a side wall so I can’t comment about that. I would also suggest a subwoofer or two depending on what music you like to listen to. My room is something like 20 foot by 17 foot. Not all that large. My two MC601 mono blocks have plenty of power but I normally don’t listen over 60 watts. There again it depends on what your listening habits are. Maggies are very nice speakers for the money and I personally don’t think they are that fussy of a speaker to set up. I normally pull my out about 4 to 5 foot also.

~Mike