View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 01:34 PM

Default My experience (so far) with N10

Now that I have put about 300 -500 hours on the N10 in both COAX and USB, here are some of my observations. To get all of these hours on I loaded various albums and Tidal and just let it play on repeat without the preamp, amps or speakers connected but with my K-01x DAC on. Not sure if this was the best way to break it in but that is what I did. It was much easier for me as a newbie to music files than I thought it would be. The iPad app is great. First I copied a few music files over from a MacBook Pro using dbpoweramp in various formats such as: AIFF, Applelossless, Flac and Wav. For me AIFF sounded the best so I will rip all my CD's in that format.
I am using my Esoteric as the DAC for the N10 with the COAX and USB connections. I found both connections to be very similar with the COAX being slightly better on some recordings. I do have an IFi box between my K01x and N10. I find the IFi makes a big difference over just using my WW Platinum cable alone.
I have been burning my CD's to my NAS and the N10. I much prefer listening to music directly from the N10 than from my NAS to the N10, so I will just use the NAS for backup purposes.
I found the N10 super convenient to use but I prefer the sound of a CD being played directly from the K-01x. For critical listening of music I will use the K-01x to play music and will use the N10 for HiRes music that the K-01x can't play if it is not on a CD or SACD.
As a side note, I still prefer the sound of vinyl over everything else, so please take that into account with my review.
Since I am new to computer music, let me know if I should be doing anything differently.
I do love the N10 for ease of use and HiRes music- it is the only thing I have to play it since I hate connecting a laptop or desktop computer to my system. Now back to ripping more CD's. Still very glad I got the N10 and am looking forward to get more into digital music.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Everest, Altaira

Last edited by PMCH; 09-10-2017 at 01:42 PM.