View Single Post
Old 10-28-2018, 12:53 PM

2-3k will get you an entry level system. Everything is important. But I feel that the most important pieces are the phono preamp and cartridge. A cheap phono preamp will not give you the performance your after.

Before I had my Ref Phono 2se I had a Fosgate signature phono preamp. They go for around 1k used. This is a excellent highly adjustable tube phono preamp. It can handle both MM and MC carts.

I would buy a table/arm/cartridge package from a dealer. You may be able to find one that was a trade in from someone upgrading. The dealer can set everything up properly. That is very important. This way you are not overwhelmed at first and can learn as you go. If the table and cart are not setup properly, they will not sound their best. Personally I like the ClearAudio tables because of the magnetic bearing. But I don't know if their entry level tables have them.

My vinyl setup sounds better than my CD player, and my ARC Ref CD7 is quite good. I had not had a turntable in 20 years when I bought mine. I found it used at a dealer and decided to take a chance. I now feel it is one of the best things I ever did for my system. I wish I had done it years ago.