View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 07:35 AM

Hi Phil, as bart says - I own one of these players. I am not so sure how it would fit in with your system tonally. I have never heard your particular combo, but I have heard each individual component. Going through your list of equipment I would suspect that your setup sounds detailed, fast, but might be a little thin.

The MPS-5 is an extremely detailed and fast player, and can dig out prodigous amounts of information from the disc. That said, it can be a little dry and lean sounding. I had to tune it a little by swapping valves on my pre and power amp after I put it in my system. My system was previously tuned for my Cary CD-306, which was a warm and rich sounding player. With the MPS-5, it sounded lean and I had to make the sound fatter.

As with all these things, if you make a change in equipment you may have to play around a bit to get the sound you like.

Don't get me wrong - I love my CD player. I just question whether it would be a good choice for you tonally. The only way is to try it and see.
Source: Playback Designs MPS-5, Micro-Seiki BL99V, MA505 Mk2, Lyra Dorian, Denon 103D, RCM Sensor Phono Stage. Amplification: Cary SLP-05 pre, Cary CAD-211AE, SGR EL30S power, Marchand XM44. Speakers: Acapella High Violon, JL Audio F110 subwoofer pair. Pictures here