View Single Post
Old 12-01-2019, 03:28 PM
Between 2 LARGE Speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
It is highly unlikely McIntosh will ever market a truly state-of-the art digital solution. They seem to go outside to third parties to get it done and I don’t see that changing much in the near term.

You can see from my signature that I’m a big fan of the brand. But for digital sources, streamers, and HT Pre/Pros there are so many better options out there that I don’t see them catching up.

For a server solution I am going to use a Synology NAS to store all my digital content and probably Roon to serve it up. No need for a PC anymore.

Tom
How would you implement the NAS in a typical system. How about audio quality, access to files etc? You use a network device to access (tablet, smartphone, laptop) then what? You can't store stuff like SACD's and multichannel software titles can you? I see various models will support up to 4K Ultra video content. Is there a digital output or a built in DAC for the audio, or do you still need the external DAC?

It's much more compact than a desktop computer that's for sure. I'm not up on the latest computer based storage and access over network. I prefer the hard line between components and network, again, not a big fan of wireless quality for video or audio access and consumption.