View Single Post
Old 06-17-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
McInosh.......Successful tube rolling and tube selection are dependent on many factors that will be different from individual to individual and amplifier to amplifier. Any give tube will not sound identical in all circuits, nor will its sound be universal from one person's ear to the next person's ear. Believing you are getting legitimate advice from other listeners, tube rollers, and tube sellers is not much more than a roll of the dice. Opinions are plentiful, facts are dependent on multiple variables that can only be substantiated by each user in their particular application.
Truer words were never spoken!

For what it's worth, I recently replaced the original 12AX7's that came with my PrimaLuna DiaLogue One (they are basically new-production Shuguang tubes that test very high) with new-production Mullard's. I had heard many great things about these, so why not? I have less than 100 hours on them, but in my amp, my system, and to my ears, they are less crisp and a TAD less detailed than the stock PrimaLuna tubes, with a slightly rolled-off top end (ie: is this what is normally called "warmer"?). But, frankly, I like them! The warmer character and darker top end help significantly with listening fatigue, and so far at least they seem more "musical" and involving to me. I would recommend them, but, again, in your system and to your ears the results could be different...